This is a simple meal that can be thrown together in 10 minutes. Mid week meals can become very stressful. It's hard to be creative, nutritious and delicious all at once if you're time poor. Thank goodness for ovens! My oven is one of my favourite appliances in my kitchen. It's so easy to throw everything into one pan, set the timer and wait for it to cook.
What I love about it:
- It's simple
- It eliminates the need to use processed/supermarket sauces
- You can use any part of the chicken, I just used legs as that's what I had at the time
- Its hearty - great for those cold winter evenings when you really don't feel like eating salads and you're over eating soup!
- It's versatile - i served it on a bed of brown rice and some roasted cabbage & eggplant. Any vegetable can be roasted, it brings out the natural sweetness of the plant.
Let's break it down:
Chicken: Is a great source of protein, which contains amino acids that are important for tissue repair, muscle building, immunity, nervous system support, liver detoxification and so much more. Protein takes longer to break down and digest, therefor keeping you fuller for longer.
Citrus Fruit: Oranges and lemons are full of vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential for skin health, immune health, nervous system support and liver detoxification.
Red Onions: Full of the antioxidant anthocyanin, which help prevent chronic disease by reducing oxidative stress in the body. Onions are also known to keep the digestive system healthy as they are a prebiotic and feed the good bacteria in the stomach.
Carrots: Rich in vitamin A which is important for eye health, skin health and the immune system.
1kg of free range, organic chicken
(any cut e.g. thighs, legs, breast, wings)
1 lemon sliced
3 oranges (1 sliced, 2 for juice)
2 red onions
Pepper to taste
1 tbsp rosemary
1 tbsp thyme
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
Drizzle of olive oil
Sprinkle of pink himalayan salt
1. In a large baking pan, add chicken, olive oil, pepper, paprika, juice of 2 oranges, garlic,
rosemary & thyme - mix until chicken is coated
2. Chop carrot into small pieces and onions into wedges - add to pan with chicken
3. Place slices of lemon and orange on top of the chicken
4. Place in oven at 190C for 45 minutes or until chicken is golden and cooked through
Serve with brown rice or quinoa & roasted vegetables of choice
Just remember, every time you eat is an opportunity to nourish your body. So make good choices!